An exceptional English Sheraton period satinwood secretaire cabinet.
Late 18th century, George III, ca 1790.
H 59 1/2’’ (151 cm)
W 30’’ (76 cm)
D 19’’ (49 cm)
This small, beautifully proportioned, and sophisticated antique writing cabinet – without doubt by the prestigious firm of Gillows & Co – is in well-figured West Indian satinwood all of the highest quality, with lovely colour and surface patination.
The top detachable section contains three adjustable shelves.
The base has a pull-out writing section with an arrangement of small drawers and pigeon holes. Sandalwood linings.
Two cupboards below – with adjustable shelving within – flanked by gently tapering, reeded columns.
In perfect condition throughout and ready to use.
Gillows of Lancaster and London, also known as Gillow & Co., was an English furniture-making firm based in Lancaster, Lancashire, and London.
- Gillow furniture designs, 1760-1800 Lindsay Boynton (1999)
- Gillows: a record of a furnishing firm during two centuries by Gillow & Co
- Examples of furniture & decoration by Gillows by Waring & Gillow (London)
- Gillow and Company of Lancaster, England: an eighteenth-century business history by Sarah C. Nichols
- The furniture of Gillow of Lancaster by M. E. Burkett.